In late August 2016, construction started on a new and exciting project that would transform the rarely used racquetball court at the Chi Wan Young Sports Centre into two highly functional fitness studios.
Complete and up and running in January, 2017, these fitness studios have been a tremendous addition to the Chi Wan Young Sports Centre. Over the past seven months, programs offered have increased in scope, size, and quantity (from 9 to 19 classes per week).
Prior to this renovation (1990-2016), most fitness classes were held in gym #3, while some were squeezed into others workable spaces. Some of the advantages of moving fitness classes out of the gymnasium and into the fitness studios include:
- Providing a much more private area, out of sight from walkers and other gym users
- Set up for classes is much easier and more efficient as all equipment is readily accessible
- Noise control – In the studios, we can now offer programs of varying intensities without being distracted by, or distracting other users.
- It opens up gym time for other recreational activities – intramurals, clubs, etc.
- Provides an additional location for our ever expanding Panther Academy summer camps (dance, kids yoga, etc.)
- It allows us to focus our programing on people of all ages, stages, and interests.
The studio on the second level is the size of a racquetball court and houses our spin classes, small group training, and team training.
The studio on the main level is almost the size of two racquetball courts and houses our fitness programs for larger groups which include yoga, pilates, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), PiYo, etc.
Although only seven months in, the new fitness studios have been a very positive addition for all parties involved. The participants, fitness instructors, personal trainers, and athletics department staff have all expressed excitement about the possibilities created by the changes made at the Chi Wan Young Sports Centre as part of the Inspire! Campaign.